DM Cantor utilizes vast industry experience to help and guide clients in matters of International Trade and National Security. Our team of attorneys, in conjunction with hand selected associated lawyers, possess diverse talent, understanding of federal ways and means, and a strong defense background proven critical in guidance and defense of multinational companies. International Trade and National Security are broad categories with many nuances in which legal issues may arise within the high stakes arena of global business.
Matters frequently handled for clients in regard to International Trade and National Security include:
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Intellectual property
- Technology transfers
- National security and classified environments
- Enforcement actions
Export Controls and Sanctions
Conducting international trade can be a minefield of U.S. economic sanctions, regulations, policies and laws. DM Cantor helps companies navigate these regulatory arenas through development of an effective export compliance program. The DM Cantor team in conjunction with hand selected associated counsel, is also able to conduct investigations and defend clients in prosecution related to sanctions. Our experience in representation of U.S. commercial entities and individuals in enforcement actions brought by stringent federal agencies proves invaluable to our export trade clients.
DM Cantor can represent your organization in actions brought by the following:
- S. Department of Justice
- Department of the Treasury – Office of Foreign Assets Control
- Department of Commerce – Bureau of Industry and Security
- Department of Homeland Security – Immigration and Customs Enforcement
Before developing your export program, to ensure compliance throughout existing exports or in matters involving the above entities, DM Cantor will provide the legal guidance and help you need.
International trade laws on which DM Cantor are able to counsel include:
- Anti-corruption laws – Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), UK Bribery Act, and the Japanese Unfair Competition Prevention Law
- S. and EU customs laws, including those administered by U.S. Customs and Border Protection
- ITAR – International Traffic in Arms Regulations – U.S. Department of State, Directorate of Defense Trade Controls
- Economic sanctions administered by the U.S. Department of the Treasury, Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), as well as the EU and its Member States
- EAR – Export Administration Regulations – U.S. Department of Commerce Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS)
- EU – regulations controlling dual-use goods
- Mexican customs regulations, including those related to maquiladora programs, value added tax, and NAFTA
- Trade remedies, including U.S. and EU anti-dumping and countervailing duties and anti-circumvention investigations
- Security export control regulations – Japanese Ministry of Economy, Trade, and Industry (METI)
- CFIUS – national security reviews of foreign investments in U.S. businesses by the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States including investments by sovereign wealth funds
- FOCI – mitigation of Foreign Ownership, Control and Influence concerns
- NISPOM – protection of classified materials and information, including the National Industrial Security Program Operating Manual administered by the Defense Security Service (DSS) at the U.S. Department of Defense
- WTO – proceedings before governmental entities as well as at national, supranational, and international levels, including the compatibility of national legislation and its implementation with World Trade Organization and related free trade agreements
The skilled attorneys at DM Cantor have the experience you need matters of International Trade and National Security, as well as Expert Controls and for investigations or other enforcement actions. DM Cantor is highly skilled at managing trade concerns and directing them towards the most effective resolution.
With the highest possible rating by Martindale Hubbell®, and as an AV ® rated law firm, DM Cantor has the legal skill you need on your side. The firm is also listed in the Criminal Law Section of the Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers®. Call DM Cantor at 602-307-0808 or Contact Us for a Free Case Consultation.